We had a wedding Saturday night. A couple in the Indonesian Branch got married. The Bishop married them. I guess it was a typical Indonesia Wedding. It was a real shindig. From the dresses to the make up to wigs and crowns. They really go all out. The food and the decorations were excessive. A lot of money was spent on this wedding and this is a poor family. I wonder how they did it.
Sunday was the Primary Program in both branches. The English branch had 9 children and that included 3 little sunbeams which gave little talks also. Each child had memorized several little talks. It was the same way in the Indonesian Branch, there was about 17 children there. They all participated several times. I think I need to explain what the English branch. They are families from America that are living here. Some work for oil companies, some for the embassy and there is a family that works for Ford motor company. They are paid really well and if they are not given a house to live in they have a huge housing expense account. So they all live in really nice places. Pres. Marchant describes it like they live in Indonesia, but some of they don't really realize that because they live in nice complex with swimming pools, exercise rooms etc, etc. They shop only at the nice place and they don't really see Indonesia. They have some Indonesians in the branch, but they are not really treated like the others. They don't get involved with the Indonesian branch at all. They all go home several times a year with the whole family. A lot of them of leaving this summer their time is up here. So I hope the branch holds together because they are losing some strong families.
We had Zone Conference this week. It is so great to be around all the missionaries and to listen to the comments and their testimonies. It is held at our church so we don't have to travel very far.
I made a lot of gingerbread man this week. Sister Marchant wanted 100 for the program on Sat. She wanted 900 cookies. Her cook made 23 big loaves of banana bread. She cut 15 slices out of each one. Then for English class I decided to make some more gingerbread men and tell the story of the ginger bread man. I read each paragraph and then Sister Hinkley translated it into Indonesian so they could understand it. It was fun. Something they have never heard and they like it. Then I gave them a gingerbread man and they thought that was fun. Dad and I helped her package all the cookies yesterday. The 300 bags of cookies. We started at 3:00 and didn't get done until 9:00. It was a big job.
We are going to have a Christmas program with the missionaries. It is a big thing. That is what the cookies are for. We have been practing for weeks. But they are having a practice today and we have to be there at 9:30 and stay all day until the program at 6:00. So that is how we are spending our day. They put it on for the members of the branches and they are suppose to invite the non-members.
On Friday we were invited to a special program with some special needs children. They really like to drag out these programs. It was from 9:00 to 12:00. The children participated and it was a good program. It made me cry to see some of these little children and their struggles. I thought and Jesus loved the little children. All of them. This same group have a program at a rest home tonight which they wanted us to be too also, but we can't go to everything. They want us there and they want us right up on the front row.
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment