Sunday we were invited to a program at that University of the Simabala family. They invite us to everything they have. They like to have the Bulas there. The Pres also took about 14 Elders and sisters with us. They fed us an Indonesian dinner yea! The elders were in heaven though. Then they had a program that lasted until after 9:00. As we went in they gave the Pres, Sister Marchant, Dad and I and 2 elders were given cards with scriptures on that they wanted us to read in Indonesian. Luke 2:4. I was given since my Indonesian is not really great it was really funny. I did the best I could.
Monday we had to be up at 4:00 because our flight to Solo was at 6:00 am. We flew into Solo and the missionary couple met us. We haven't met them before, but we knew who they were because of the white shirts. Elder Subandriyo was there also. We went to see some water projects that we may be doing. It was a raining day and a little cooler up there anyway it was in the 80's. We had a good day with the Roberts and it was fun to get to know them. We flew back to Jakarta and got home at 9:00. We packed and got ready to go again in the morning. We were up before 4:00 because the flight to Medan was at 6:00 am too. I told Dad on the way to the airport I thought we were retired.
We got to Medan after 8:00 and we had to be at the hospital by 9:00 am. We got into an old beat up taxi with no air conditioning and it was hot. It was over 100 there. We arrived at the hospital and Purba who is the legislater of Maden met us we got out of this beat up piece of junk and the cameras were all over us. The Minister of Indonesia came right behind us. We were there because they were doing the cleft lip and palate surgeries, but that was over shadowed by the presence of all the dignitaries that were there.
They took us into a hall where the Purba family 4 sons and 3 daughters had a ceremony planned. The minister spoke and then they gave several of us one of those blankets again.

We also learned that one of the girls in that family is married to one of the sons of Simabala. The plot thickens. The rich marry the rich. We took a tour with everyone including about a dozen TV cameras. They were even circumcising some little boys and everyone went right in there and took a look. We were then done for the day and we went back to the hotel. I wasn't feeling very good. I was getting a cold so I took so Actifed and laid down and took a long nap. It really helped. I needed the rest more than anything. The next day, the president of Indonesia was coming. He was there for a program of Solitary of Indonesia. The program was outside and it was over 100. They put up big tents for everyone to sit under. Pubra got tickets for us to be there. We had VVIP tickets. The guy that was with us only had a VIP ticket so he was not able to be by us. We went through 3 security checks to get to our seats. We weren't that close to the Pres., but close enough that we could see him. They were supposed to have a wheel chair ceremony. They did but LDSC was not given the credit even though they used our chairs. Oh well. This ceremony was big and they put on a really nice program for the Pres. They had the flags and dancers dressed in many different kinds of costumes and beautiful. They had the badenese drummers and a marching band. It was very good and worth being there for. Then they had some tents set up on the side and they were doing some of the operations in the including the circumcison. (these were boys that were 9 and 10 years old and everyone was just walking in there.) I chose not to watch and someone grabbed me by the arm and said you need to see this. Those little boys were in pain, but I am sure the pain was more to have everyone checking it out.
We sat by a man and his wife at this ceremony, his name Rahmat Shah. He invited us to go to his museum that afternoon. What a place. He has hunting etc. He has all kinds of bears, lions, elephants, Insects of all kinds; butterflies, ants, beetles, rocks, shells, you name it and it is there. We spent over an hour there and we just touched the surface. It is a very interesting place. Pres Bush, Clinton and Jerry Ford have been there and 4 Miss Universes. They took a picture of us and it will probably go on the wall too of people who have been there. We came back to Jakarta late and were glad to be back again. We spent so much time waiting in airports, flying on airplanes, driving in the car and taxis that it is always great to get back to our bed. Even though we do like to see the different parts of Indonesia.

The other couples wish that they were in our shoes. Even the Pres wife wanted to go with us last week, but they had a zone conference. They have been to Maden though, but she wanted to go to these ceremonies with us. Thursday we were so glad to stay home and Dad had lots of reports he had to catch up on. It has really been raining so it is nice to stay inside. We did have English class though so we had to go out for that. And it is never too rainy to go and get ice cream at McDonalds.
John's wife brother and his new wife invited us to a party on Fri night. John's wife cooked all the food. A lot of food. They were really careful not to have hot food for us. We had a great time with them, but it is a little uncomfortable because we can't really talk to them too much. They keep feeding and feeding us. They made a black forest cake and we had two big pieces of that besides all the food and ice cream and Dad got 2 dishes of that before he just had to put his foot down for no more.
Well, I will close. I never thought that I would be in a situation where that song I'll be Home for Christmas, please have snow and mistletoe and presents on the tree would apply to me. but only in my dreams. We miss home, but we are doing Ok. Dad said, You need a present for Christmas and I said what do I need? I don't need anything, but I would like to talk to my family and that is enough. I love you and I will miss being there and seeing your happy faces.


No comments:
Post a Comment